Reprodubility, expect less of the scientific paper
- Year read:#read2021
- Subject: reproducibility
- Bibliography: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02486-7
The authors argue that articles from individual research groups should be regarded as preliminary, by default. One single lab simply does not have the resources to vary all methodological aspects to check the robustness of results.
- Better protocols and methods sections are necessary but not sufficient for reproducibility.
- They think it might not be worthwhile to specify every single way in which the methods can vary, there’s just a massive amount of work to be done
Some proposed solutions:
- Large-scale collaborative projects such as psych genetics or Many Labs Project, Psychological Science Accelerator.
- Institutions for large-scale confirmatory studies because individual researchers don’t have the resources needed to coordinate such initiatives
- Separate exploratory from confirmatory research