Sam Altman’s productivity tips

Key takeaways

  • Small productivity gains implemented every day can generate Compound growth
  • Pick the right thing to work on, ask yourself The Hamming question
  • Don’t be afraid to learn new things, you’ll be surprised at how fast you can get better
  • Find a balance between working on your important projects and leaving room for chance encounters; even if 90% of them are a waste of time the other 10% will make up for it
  • “The right goal is to allocate your year optimally, not your day”. This is something Cal Newport mentions in his podcast a lot, in relation to Deep work
  • He overcommits a little bit with projects to make himself more efficient and helps in avoiding distractions. Perhaps to avoid Parkinson’s Law

It doesn’t matter what system you use or if you squeeze out every second if you’re working on the wrong thing.