- Bibtex: @hassanian-moghaddam2011
- Bibliography: Hassanian-Moghaddam, H., Sarjami, S., Kolahi, A.-A., & Carter, G. L. (2011). Postcards in Persia: Randomised controlled trial to reduce suicidal behaviours 12 months after hospital-treated self-poisoning. The British Journal of Psychiatry, 198(4), 309–316. https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.bp.109.067199
- Only self-poisoning
- n = 2300
- Nine postcards sent over 12 months.
- 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 months after discharge. And birthday.
- Reductions in any suicide attempt (RRR = 0.42, 95% CI 0.11 - 0.63. NNT = 46) and number of attempts (IRR = 0.64, 95% CI 0.42 - 0.97).
- Any suicide attempt was 3% in active group, 5% in control
- Outcomes were assessed by a study psychologist by interviewing the participants.
- It doesn’t say if the postcards had the actual clinician as the sender, but most likely not.
BackgroundHospital-treated self-poisoning is common, with limited effective interventions for reducing subsequent suicidal behaviour.AimsTo test the efficacy of a postcard intervention to reduce suicidal behaviour.MethodRandomised controlled trial of individuals who self-poisoned (n = 2300), the intervention consisted of nine postcards sent over 12 months versus usual treatment. Outcomes assessed at 12 months (n = 2113) were suicidal ideation, suicide attempts and self-cutting (proportion and event rates).ResultsThere was a significant reduction in any suicidal ideation (relative risk reduction (RRR) = 0.31, 95% CI 0.22–0.38), any suicide attempt (RRR = 0.42, 95% CI 0.11–0.63) and number of attempts (incidence rate ratios (IRR) = 0.64, 95% CI 0.42–0.97). There was no significant reduction in any self-cutting (RRR = 0.14, 95% CI −-0.29 to 0.42) or self-cutting events (IRR = 1.03 95% CI 0.76–1.39).ConclusionsA postcard intervention reduced suicidal ideation and suicide attempts in a non-Western population. Sustained, brief contact by mail may reduce suicidal ideation and suicide attempts in individuals who self-poison. PDF: hassanian-moghaddam_2011_postcards_in_persia_-_randomised_controlled_trial_to_reduce_suicidal_behaviours.pdf